Dr. Sebi’s diet is a plant-based diet that allows alkaline vegetables and foods to “detoxify” the body.
Dr. Sebi postulated that diseases can only exist in an acidic environment. Thus, eating so-called “alkaline foods” can bring the body to a state of natural balance or “homeostasis.” The foods must be unprocessed or at the most stove heated, and the use of microwaves is not allowed.
Dr. Sebi’s diet approved the following foods:
- Natural alkaline vegetables: Chayote or Mexican squash cucumber, dandelion greens, kale, lettuce (all, except iceberg), mushrooms (all, except shitake), olives, onions, squash, and zucchini.
- Fruits: Most fruits are allowed as long as they are not canned or hybrid varieties.
- Nuts: Raw sesame seeds, walnuts, Brazil nuts are allowed.
- Alkaline grains: Amaranth, Kamut, quinoa, rye, spelt, and tef are allowed.
- A galloon of spring water daily.
- All plant-based oils are allowed.
In addition, Dr. Sebi used herbs, such as burdock root, sarsaparilla (banned in the United States), and dandelion to clean the blood and detoxify the liver cells.
What is the Dr. Sebi diet?
The self-proclaimed herbalist and healer from Honduras, late Dr. Sebi (aka Alfredo Darrington Bowman) practiced naturopathy and herbal medicines in the United States. He was not a medical doctor or a Ph.D., yet he “treated” numerous Hollywood celebrities and promoted a special diet that claimed to work in all diseases that debilitated the body in the long run.
This one-stop-all-issues diet is the “mucus reducing alkaline diet,” which is made up of plant-based foods. These foods are claimed to control the acid level in the body, protecting the cells against harmful mucus buildup that eventually affects the organs and leads to the development of disease.
Dr. Sebi claimed that the excess mucus in the bronchial tubes caused:
What are the 8 rules of Dr. Sebi’s diet?
The rules of Dr. Sebi’s diet are very strict and outlined below:
- Rule 1. You must only eat foods listed in the nutritional guide.
- Rule 2. Drink 1 gallon (3.8 liters) of water every day.
- Rule 3. Take Dr. Sebi’s supplements an hour before medications.
- Rule 4. No animal products are permitted.
- Rule 5. No alcohol is allowed.
- Rule 6. Avoid wheat products and only consume the “natural-growing grains” listed in the guide.
- Rule 7. Avoid using a microwave to prevent killing your food.
- Rule 8. Avoid canned or seedless fruits.
What items are prohibited in Dr. Sebi diet?
The Dr. Sebi diet forbids the following foods:
- All genetically modified food
- Foods containing monosodium glutamate
- Ready-to-eat foods
- Most legumes
- Animal products
Additionally, certain vegetarian foods are prohibited, such as:
Dr. Sebi claimed that alkalization, along with his “herbs,” removes the excess “mucus” from the body. These herbs should be specially purchased and consumed within 30 minutes. This process detoxifies the body and cleanses it on the cellular and intracellular level.
Because the body’s pH is strictly regulated between 7.35 to 7.40, he claimed that the body is at its best, with pH mildly alkaline. When the body is exposed to stress (physical or biochemical stress) via infection, long-term medications, and poor food habits the body pH gets acidic. This results in the borrowing of the alkaline minerals and compounds (calcium, magnesium, iron) from bones and blood, thus inviting diseases.
Are alkaline foods really healthier?
Modern medicine does not recognize the concept of “detoxifying rituals” and “alkaline foods.” As long as the liver and kidney are healthy, the body will continue to detoxify itself if people have a balanced diet, are physically active, and eat foods rich in antioxidants, polyphenols, and fiber.
Many studies have found no benefit of an alkaline diet. Rather, such diets may cause severe nutritional deficiencies, including:
The advantages of Dr. Sebi’s alkaline diet is high in fiber, unprocessed foods, and cuts down on nicotine and caffeine. It may result in weight loss if followed for a long time. The high fiber content helps enhance the gut biome, control the blood sugars, and avoid binge eating behaviors.
Though the diet is rich in fiber and low in sugars, no evidence suggests that an alkaline diet helps prevent cancers or autoimmune disorders. The herbs administered as a part of the cleansing ritual may result in unfavorable interactions with the drugs people take.
A few of the alkaline “herbs” may be toxic to the body in high doses. It is best to discuss any radical change in the diet with your doctor.
Latest Diet & Weight Management News
Medically Reviewed on 10/21/2021
Aniys A. Dr. Sebi Nutritional Guide – Dr. Sebi Nutritional Guide – Mucus Reducing Alkaline Diet Mucus Reducing Alkaline Diet. Alkaline Plant Based Diet. https://dta0yqvfnusiq.cloudfront.net/allnaturalhealingsrq/2019/04/Mucous-Reducing-Alkaline-Diet-5cb659b6e9c28.pdf